Recruiting Rants


You recruit good players and they play well, you’re a genius. So for a year or two you’ll be called a genius. Sometimes a “genius manager” will recruit bad players who play poorly, which will make people wonder how come a genius got so dumb so fast.
--Whitey Herzog

Great vision without great people is irrelevant.
--Jim Collins. 
Never hire someone who knows less than you do about what he's hired to do.
--Malcolm Forbes

Human resources isn't a thing we do. It's the thing that runs our business.
--Steve Wynn.

Since we do not take a man on his past history, we do not refuse him because of his past history. I never met a man who was thoroughly bad. There is always some good in him if he gets a chance.
--Henry Ford

It never stops. It's 365 recruiting. That cell phone you've got, these smartphones are the death of college coaching.
--Kirby Smart 

I want guys that are sincerely interested in coming to Clemson. I don't need any practice recruiting, and I don't like wasting time. I want to be transparent, and I want prospects to be transparent, and if they're really interested in Clemson, then they're going to come here unofficially on their own.
--Dabo Swinney


I don't know if I'm different from everybody else, but there's really only two things to me that are really, really important--recruiting good players in the program and developing those players once they get here.
--Nick Saban

Agents recruiting high-school players and talking to high-schoolers - I feel like those are the people who put bad ideas in kids.
--Joel Embiid

The thing that drives most coaches out of coaching in college is they get tired of the grind of recruiting.
--Bobby Bowden
___________________________________________________



A Season In Their Words by Dan Spainhour


Print Edition $24.99


Instant Download &19.99



Print & Download $31.99



Comments