Suspicion Always Haunts The Guilty Mind


A story is told of a bishop invited a young priest to dinner. During the meal, the young priest noticed some signs of intimacy between the bishop and his housekeeper. As the priest was leaving, the bishop said to him quietly, “I can guess what you are thinking, but really our relationship is strictly proper.”

A few days later the housekeeper remarked to the bishop that a valuable antique silver soup ladle was missing since the young priest's visit and she wondered if he had taken it. “I doubt it, but I will ask him,” said the bishop.

So the bishop wrote to the priest:

Dear Father,
I am not saying that you did take a solid silver ladle from my house, and I am not saying that you did not take a silver ladle from my house, but the fact is that the ladle has been missing since your visit.

The bishop received the young priest's reply, which read:

Your Excellency,
I'm not saying that you do sleep with your housekeeper, and I'm not saying that you do not sleep with your housekeeper, but the fact is that if you were sleeping in your own bed, you would by now have found the ladle.

Accusations have a way of finding their way back to you.

The above story along with many others can be found in Dan Spainhour's latest book, Leading Narratives: The perfect collection of stories, jokes and wits of wisdom for leaders


Paperback
6 x 9; 124 pages
$24.95

Comments